Making lunch to take to work is a victory in itself! So thinking of new ideas to stop you getting bored and making sure you pack nourishing food just might not be feasible when you’re busy. So we’ve bought together some tempting work lunch box ideas to give you lots of inspiration for super simple lunches.
Having foods which are going to power you through the afternoon is crucial if you want to beat the post lunch slump and make the most of your afternoon. As the afternoon goes on our energy levels wain and choosing the wrong foods at lunchtime can lead to spikes followed by crashes in blood sugar levels. This causes tiredness, reduced concentration and cravings.
To help avoid this pack a good portion of protein, some whole grains, a little fat along with lots of vegetables and salad to feel alert, calm and motivated all afternoon. A rainbow coloured lunch packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants is going to help boost your immune system too, helping you stay strong and well when work gets busy. Lunches also need to be super simple to put together, nourishing to keep you on top form and make you smile when you remember what you have to eat!
Get ahead hearty salads
When you’re making dinner prepare a big salad to last a few days to go with your evening meals and to add to lunches. Use lettuce, spinach, watercress, cherry tomatoes, chopped pepper, celery, carrot, whatever you have in the fridge.
Then pop this in your lunchbox with..
- Feta, olives & red onion, olive oil, oregano and lemon juice and have with a wholemeal pitta bread and avocado.
- Apple slices, grapes, small chunks of cheddar cheese and walnuts. Take a little mayonnaise or a yoghurt dressing & a granary roll
- Tuna and half a tin of mixed beans and pulses, some ready cooked grains and dressing
Sandwiches & Wraps designed to energise
- A wholemeal tortilla with cooked chicken slices, avocado & crispy lettuce leaves, Use a little soured cream to moisten the tortilla
- Pitta bread filled with halloumi, salad and hummus
- Egg mayonaise and watercress sandwich in seeded bread
No prep lunches
- Soup – Take a carton of fresh soup and eat it over 2 days with some chunks of granary bread or rye bread. Ideally go for sups with beans and pulses in as well as vegetables for long lasting energy
- Take a prepared salad (such as a bean salad or a noodle and chicken salad) and have alongside some of your snacks if its not quite enough (a pot of yoghurt, a piece of fruit, a few nuts).
Energy boosting snacks for your work lunch box
Relish Wellbeing provide nutrition-centered wellbeing programs for the workplace. If you’d like our expert nutrition consultant to come into your office and share nutrition insights and food ideas to help you feel amazing please get in touch with us email@example.com