Our homemade chocolate spread is packed with hazelnuts and dark chocolate with a high percentage of cocoa solids. Rather than a spread loaded with palm oil and sugar, our version is full of natural ingredients, just enough sugar to give it sweetness and the nuts and chocolate provide health-boosting nutrients such as magnesium, potassium and polyphenols. Eating hazelnuts can increase our blood Vitamin E levels. This is great for our wellbeing as Vitamin E acts as an antioxidant and can protect the body from damage from free radicals so could help us to stay healthy. As well as a nuttier chocolate spread being better for us it’s also delicious. It’s lovely warmed as a sauce poured over fruit or as a dip with apple slices. Also fabulous spread over a wholemeal wrap with strawberries!
Ingredients – 2 jars of chocolate spread
- 75g hazelnuts
- 40 g caster sugar
- 225g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
- 110 ml double cream
- 50g butter
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 180 oC (fan)
- Lay the hazelnuts on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 5 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Use a food processor to blitz hazelnuts with sugar to a smooth paste
- Meanwhile melt the dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring regularly.
- Once melted remove from the heat and add cream, butter and salt.
- Add the hazelnut and sugar paste to the chocolate mixture and stir until combined.
- Fill 2 sterilised glass jars with lids and keep in the fridge for 2-3 weeks.
If you or your family have got used to a much sweeter chocolate spread you might want to slowly adapt everyone’s taste buds to a homemade version so there is less of a difference! I suggest making the first batch with 60g of sugar and 50g of hazelnuts so it is slightly sweeter and less granular then work from there and reduce sugar/increase nuts in each batch you make. This will still be packed with far more nutrients than the most commonly bought chocolate spread!